Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sociopath to be?

Hi again! Stuck around for the fourth blog posting? Go, you! I'll try not to disappoint.

There is a battle raging in my living room right now. It started about 15 minutes ago. This coincides quite nicely with Daddy going into the living room, taking the remote from Emily, and turning the channel from whatever mindless Disney drivel she was watching to some mindless drivel of a poker show.

Now, let me pause here and say that it's not really Jeff's fault. I ran him out of the bedroom and really, that's his only decent option. The televisions in the kids' rooms are really small. And have an astonishing amount of crayons and stickers on their screens. And really, it's not like I said, "Jeff, get out of here." It's just that I'm watching the Rob Zombie Halloween remake, and he doesn't care for it. And I have no intention of changing the channel. I totally gravitate to horror movies lately just to get some 'me' time, because the short ginger people know and accept that they can't be in the room when one is on. And since I have Dyl (the unspoken rule being that whoever has Dyl gets whatever they want/need), Daddy heads to the recliner in the living room without a fight.

But Emily has already decided she was watching HER shows and sleeping on HER couch. Most of you probably know Emily and her personality (which is uncannily similar to mine), but for those of you who don't, let me sum up her reaction to the whole channel changing deal. I can even do it in three little words:

Aw, hell no.

Ever seen a seven year old (who thinks they know everything) and a thirty-seven year old (who knows they *should* be in charge) lock horns? Let the fireworks begin! Emily proceeds to pitch a Gray-baby-hissy-fit, which her daddy laughs off. "You can scream all you want, I am watching MY TV." And I currently hear poker in the living room, so I'm mildly surprised when I realize that Daddy won. We both usually lose.

So I sat back in my bed with Dyl, half watching my movie and half paying attention to the battle as it raged down the hall from me. I was even a little smug, thinking 'Glad it's him and not me.' But I stopped laughing fairly quickly, and here's why.

Remember how I said I was watching Halloween? And remember what Jeff said about her screaming? Well, let me just tell you...no sooner did he say that then young Michael Myers starts screaming and wipes out half of his family with a kitchen knife. I have a moment (and every mom eventually does) where I stop and ask myself:

Sociopath to be?

Are we-good people, decent parents-raising a little sociopath?

Nah, probably not. She's too much like me, and I figure it'd take too much effort to kill someone. I mean, the hows and whys, and where to the hide the body(ies). The problems are insurmountable, if you think about it. I'd not want to get caught.

Besides, it's probably Bryce I have to worry about, anyway. Don't they say it's always the quiet ones? (No, I really love my son, I promise!)

Oh well. *sigh* I'm going back to my horror movie now (thanks, DVR), since I'm reasonably certain there's been no bloodshed in the living room. I'm too lazy to get up and go look.

G'nite! Happy {early} Halloween :)





Be one of my Tweeples! C'mon, ya know ya wanna! @mrsjeffgray2002



***DISCLAIMER*** I don't own this picture, or copyright, or any of that legal stuff. Just snapped a picture of a Syfy movie with the iPhone. So if anybody is at fault, it's Apple. Yeah. So sue them.

No comments:

Post a Comment