Thursday, October 20, 2011

The best $.50 I ever spent

My three month old is...a difficult baby. As bad as I feel about admitting that, it's the truth. Doesn't make me a bad mother, or him a bad baby. Just makes us work a little harder. Thank goodness he's getting better!

For instance, he's almost always grumpy, even when he sleeps. But I will take grumpiness any day because grumpiness I can deal with. And in the last month or so, I even get occasional big, gummy, 'you-are-my-world-mama' smiles from Mr. Grumpy McGrumperton. I LOVE THIS and cherish it like you wouldn't believe.

Because the first two months of this kid's life were pure hell.

Don't get me wrong. I love him more than life. I would lay down my life in a heartbeat for any of my peoples. However, if he'd been my first instead of my last, he'd have been my only. Bless his little heart, though. Wasn't his fault.

A little background. Dylan was a surprise. A big surprise. We had our 6 year old daughter and our three year old son and we were done. But you know how it goes...one reckless night and... I swear, that man can talk me into anything! *goosebumps*

But I digress. Our Dylan roller coaster started with breastfeeding complications. It continued with multiple formula changes. Fever at three weeks that landed him in the hospital. Severe acid reflux. Upper GI testing. All of this played out to the tune of the unending (diagnosed) colic that only let up a few weeks ago. He literally screamed every second he was awake. And it felt like he never slept. I felt so helpless.

Everyone was at a breaking point. And then, probably only days shy of a nervous breakdown, I discovered something that literally saved my sanity: the super swaddle.

Now, I believe this child will be a prize winning boxer when he grows up. Obviously, because he likes to punch himself while trying to go to sleep. This has the unfortunate effect of keeping him awake and angry. Not a good combo for anyone. But the super swaddle, or as I like to call it, the baby straitjacket, stopped that.

The first night we had those little arms locked down, he slept from 10 pm to 6 am. And the next night. And the next. I was in heaven! It took three days for the lack of sleep to catch up to where I was only exhausted again. Which brings me to the best $.50 I ever spent.

Money, like in most families, is very tight in the Gray household. So last week the kids and I were shopping in a local thrift store. It's cool, they get toys I only have to pay a quarter for. Because, God knows, they have to get a toy if we are in a store that sells toys. We were in there shortly before they closed when I saw it. Powder blue, sticking out of the playpen full of bargain baby clothes.

A brand new Kidapotamus swaddle sack. FOR $.50.

I snatched that thing up faster than you can blink. (Like the other two little old ladies shopping in there were going to beat me to it.) I was so proud of my purchase.

Got it home, washed it, it's magic! All you have to do is lay him on it and he KNOWS. He gets velcro-ed in, quiets and goes right to sleep. It's a godsend, especially after all we've been through. We have caught up on gobs of sleep.

But if you'll see the picture below, the only problem is glaringly obvious. I probably only have 2 or 3 weeks, tops, left that it will fit! And I have no idea what I'll do then. *sigh*

But it still is, by far, the best $.50 I ever spent :)

Crazy tweets daily! Follow me on Twitter! @mrsjeffgray2002

No comments:

Post a Comment