Saturday, October 29, 2011

ohmygodsugarhighCORNHOLIO!!!

Apologies in advance to any of my diabetic friends. I was there for a few miserable months this year, so I sorta know a little of what you go through. So I don't really mean to use the words in the title of this post flippantly. But I'm convinced that the only way to describe what happened earlier tonight is to use two words...sugar high.

Let me set the scene for ya. The Saturday night before Halloween is generally the accepted night for trunk or treat in this area. That's not a typo, it's trunk, not trick. Churches around here offer an alternative to trick or treating in which parishioners drive to the church and pop their trunks, and the kids 'trunk' or treat candy from people they know. It's a Christian alternative to soul-stealing ghouls and goblins and candied apples filled with razor blades.

It's also a good opportunity for lazy people like me to get all our get trick or treating done in the space of about 30-45 minutes. (You should see the appeal of this, as opposed to running all over hell's half acre, barging up to strangers, and begging for candy.) Hey, when ya got three kids, ya cut a few corners.

We visited a church tonight for their annual trunk or treat. We'd never been to this particular one, and are considering visiting to see if we'd like to go to church there on a regular basis. My daughter has friends from school there, and it's close to my husband's parents' home, where we generally spend our Sunday afternoons anyway.

This went as things like this usually go. The kids had a blast, and I stressed the whole time about keeping them together, not fighting, and behaving in front of people I wanted to make a decent impression in front of. This was accomplished, and we had the added bonus of leaving with about 157 pounds of candy.

WARNING: I'm going to stray from the topic a bit here.

The ginger ninjas were given plastic baseball bats at this shindig. What kind of sadistic, parent-hating people send plastic baseball bats home with children who are also hauling a year's worth of candy home with them? I bet the old people of the church got together and thought that up. I can just hear them saying the word 'whippersnapper'. You should have seen some of these kids going at each other with these bats. Really.

Anyway, the gingers got a ton of candy.

Did you know it's illegal to not let your kids eat every piece of their candy on Halloween night? That's what my seven year old said, and I have no reason to doubt her. She wouldn't lie to me just to be able to eat candy all night, right? But it's not just her.

We left and went to Granny's to make all sorts of Halloween lovelies. Spider cupcakes, popcorn balls, candied apples (no razor blades!). And, oh my gosh, my sisters-in-law can cook. I mean, I can cook, but they can COOK. Seriously, they should be caterers. And at Granny's were a bunch of people. About half of them were kids.

With candy.

Lots and lots of candy.

It was rather noisy. Like it's a bit cool in Antarctica. But the funniest thing to me tonight was my four year old, Bryce. (Note the multi-colored ring around his mouth in the pic below from 15 different kinds of junk he'd already consumed when I snapped the photo.) They all ate their fare share of candy, but he was bouncing of the walls. Literally. He was on such a sugar high, he was running into walls and bouncing off of them. Like the kid from the Steve Martin movie Parenthood, remember?

But tonight, on his sugar high, he reminded me of another fictional character from my youth. I will love MTV forever and ever, because this week, they brought back Beavis and Butthead. And I didn't even have to sneak to watch it! I'm 31 now!

Remember the movie, though, where Beavis was completely hyped up on caffeine pills? Good lord, that was my Brycie tonight. Gone was my sweet, quiet child (well, quietER compared to the rest), and in his place was Cornholio.

"Lake Titicaca!"

"I need t.p. for my bunghole!"

And while he didn't utter these exact phrases, he was just as wild tonight! He may as well have swallowed a handful of caffeine pills like Beavis.

But all good things must come to an end. The sugar highs wore off and they turned into such butts! Oh boy, they are so my kids...ill as wet hornets when they're sleepy. Thankfully, we're home now, two of the three have passed out, Daddy and Cornholio are watching poker, and I am fixing to pass out.

All in all, another successful Halloween squared away, and it's not even Halloween yet. Man, I'm good.

Everybody else have fun trick or treating, stay safe, and watch out for ghosts :)




I'm too tired right now to ask you to follow @mrsjeffgray2002 on Twitter, so I'll just (yawn) go on to (yawn) sleep. (YAWN) G'nite :)

*I borrowed the Beavis pic below from Dr. Google. If you own it, please don't sue me. You'll only get about thirty seven cents. And possibly a kid or two.*

No comments:

Post a Comment